Favorite Video Game Role

Take the latest poll or create your poll in here.

What is your preferred role?

Tank
21%
Healer
21%
Damage Dealer
34%
Support
17%
Controller
7%

Total votes: 29

Auer
Forum moderators
Forum moderators

Favorite Video Game Role

Post by Auer » 26 Jul 2016, 08:33

So this was something straw poll was doing and I thought it would be fun to see what all Anispace liked. For those who are unfamiliar with the concept of the roles here's a brief description of each.

Tank: Usually the one who is taking a beating for the benefit of his teammates. Tanks generally don't do as much damage as a Damage Dealer, but make up for it with higher health pools and defensive abilities.
Example: Warriors, Paladins, Knights, Fighters

Healer: What the name says. The healer is the one who you'll see sitting in the back mending the wounds of their allies. They typically don't do much damage, if any, and are usually very fragile as well and thus should be protected at all costs.
Example: Priests, White Mages, Medics, Clerics

Damage Dealer: These are your axe-wielding berserkers. Your bow using rangers. Your knife toting thieves. When you need something dead, these are the guys you'll see topping the charts. High damage output, but low health and defense means a damage dealer should look to their tank to avoid getting blown up.
Example: Monks, Rogues, Rangers, Fire Mages, Warlocks

Support: A less common archetype of late, supports are the other side of the "healing" spectrum. Not confined to being a healbot, a support will usually bring things to the table in the form of buffs that increase damage, shields, and even some damage. They're responsible for making sure everyone is running at peak efficiency.
Example: Bards, Oracles, Wizards, Shaman

Controller: Even less common lately is the controller. Controllers are effectively an off-shoot of damage dealers and focus on hindering the opponent through debuffs, slows, stuns, snares, and damage-over-time abilities. Controllers are vital in player versus player interactions.
Example: Witches, Ice Mages, Druids, Summoners

"The reputation of Team Gurren echoes far and wide. When they talk about its badass leader - the man of indomitable spirit and masculinity - they're talking about me! The mighty Kamina!"

Kiba
Anispace Cadet
Anispace Cadet

Re: Favorite Video Game Role

Post by Kiba » 26 Jul 2016, 08:37

I'm a combination of Controller/Damage Dealer/Healer.
So it's really difficult to decide which one is preferred.

Copcake
Anispace Apprentice
Anispace Apprentice

Post by Copcake » 26 Jul 2016, 08:40

Really thought Damage Dealer would be more common. Huh. Anywho I'll go with Healer because I'd feel more comfort in knowing I'm in control of who needs healing and I'd just heal whoever best fits the scenario.

"By experiencing both, victory and defeat, running away and shedding tears, a man will become a man."

-Shanks.

Yugo

Post by Yugo » 26 Jul 2016, 08:42

I'm the support type.

Auer
Forum moderators
Forum moderators

Post by Auer » 26 Jul 2016, 08:43

Kiba wrote:I'm a combination of Controller/Damage Dealer/Healer.
So it's really difficult to decide which one is preferred.
Out of curiosity, is that just based on your own personality or is/are there any game(s) in particular you're basing on?
Copcake wrote:Really thought Damage Dealer would be more common. Huh. Anywho I'll go with Healer because I'd feel more comfort in knowing I'm in control of who needs healing and I'd just heal whoever best fits the scenario.
I have seen so many healers that have the same mentality. As they say, if you want it done right you should do it yourself.

In case it wasn't obvious to everyone, I am a tank through and through.

"The reputation of Team Gurren echoes far and wide. When they talk about its badass leader - the man of indomitable spirit and masculinity - they're talking about me! The mighty Kamina!"

Copcake
Anispace Apprentice
Anispace Apprentice

Post by Copcake » 26 Jul 2016, 08:46

Auer wrote:
Copcake wrote:Really thought Damage Dealer would be more common. Huh. Anywho I'll go with Healer because I'd feel more comfort in knowing I'm in control of who needs healing and I'd just heal whoever best fits the scenario.
I have seen so many healers that have the same mentality. As they say, if you want it done right you should do it yourself.

In case it wasn't obvious to everyone, I am a tank through and through.
Can't blame them for having that mentality when you have no clue what any healer could be doing. Though that saying does apply extremely well in this case no doubt.

I'm guessing Ruby would be a Damage Dealer then?

"By experiencing both, victory and defeat, running away and shedding tears, a man will become a man."

-Shanks.

tsundere
Forum moderators
Forum moderators

Post by tsundere » 26 Jul 2016, 08:48

Obviously I am both a healer in and out of games, but you know this, babe. <3 I can very much raise hell, though. Don't try me, in-game or out (:<

Also Austin, I'm of the exact same mentality. I don't trust any healers but myself, no matter how good they are. I like holding that responsibility in my own hands.
Last edited by tsundere on 26 Jul 2016, 08:49, edited 2 times in total.

Seraphim
Anispace Cadet
Anispace Cadet

Post by Seraphim » 26 Jul 2016, 08:48

I'm the healer when it comes to video game roles, I just can't see myself as a controller
or damage dealer. I like being the healer cause It makes me happy knowing I'm helping
out teammates.

Auer
Forum moderators
Forum moderators

Post by Auer » 26 Jul 2016, 08:48

Copcake wrote: I'm guessing Ruby would be a Damage Dealer then?
Ruby and I are the perfect couple you want leading your raids. I main tank, she tank heals. I literally never look at my health bar in WoW and FFXIV because I know she's not gonna let me down. <3

tsundere
Forum moderators
Forum moderators

Post by tsundere » 26 Jul 2016, 08:51

Auer wrote:
Copcake wrote: I'm guessing Ruby would be a Damage Dealer then?
Ruby and I are the perfect couple you want leading your raids. I main tank, she tank heals. I literally never look at my health bar in WoW and FFXIV because I know she's not gonna let me down. <3
Hey now, don't underestimate me. >:I I nearly solo'd Sephirot.