The homeless

Post your discussions here
Shep
Anispace Cadet
Anispace Cadet

The homeless

Post by Shep » 03 Apr 2016, 16:26

So Conan touched on an issue with him about being homeless would meme he has failed at his life. I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the homeless in general, and if you've had personal experience with them. Do they frustrate you. Do you fear them? Should we help the homeless and give them money to validate their current path? Under what circumstances is having no place to call your own, acceptable? Should there be more outreach and help for those individuals and families?

A few weeks or months back I was coming out of a food market and getting into my vehicle. I was still setting stuff down as I saw out of the corner of my eye a man who had been walking towards me stopped in front of my window with his body directed towards me. I ignored his attempts at communication and didn't even give him the respect to look at him in my dismissal of him. I turned the radio on and blasted whatever rock station was playing. And he walked away.

Mika
Anispace Champion
Anispace Champion

Re: The homeless

Post by Mika » 03 Apr 2016, 16:39

Everyone has a story. And it's really best you not judged them until you fairly got to know them.

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” ― Ian Maclaren

“When you really know somebody you can’t hate them. Or maybe it’s just that you can’t really know them until you stop hating them.”
― Orson Scott Card
(Not saying you hate them but the quote makes a point about judging others in a negative view)

But there are poor reasons why some are homeless, such as drug and alcohol addictions; general irresponsibility. Just be careful of painting them all under one brush because not all of them are homeless because of a poor reason. I would never give them money because you don't know what they're going to personally do with that money and it could be enabling their addictions. And even those that do have addictions, listen a little sometime to their story. Maybe they grew up in a broken home and were severely abused by people who should be loving and nurturing for them (family). Maybe their wife or husband died and they've been suffering the broken heart from it, having fallen to addiction in attempt to cope.

The best thing I think we can do for the homeless, if you are feeling compassionate, is to politely offer them a card to the nearest soup kitchen and shelter (churches can sometimes offer shelter for the homeless). You could also share non-perishable food with them, too, that can last awhile and not need to be cooked to be consumed. Maybe offer them a bottle of water on a hot Summer day. Offer them information to government/state resources that may be available to help them get back up on their feet.

Sometimes people are laid off from work for a reason not their fault. Maybe because a husband got laid off work, maybe he's having marital problems and his wife is filing for a divorce (never know the reason for that but there is a story behind it if you care to listen to it rather than ignorantly judge) so he's going through some hardship in life, homeless, finding difficulty in recuperating because he may have lost his job and his wife for whatever reasons not entirely his fault possibly. This just being an example.

Dilemma
Anispace Apprentice
Anispace Apprentice

Post by Dilemma » 18 Apr 2016, 17:35

I feel really sad for people who are homeless. I know something had happened in their life that leaded to them being homeless, but I still only give those who do look homeless some money. When I was in America last year for a mini America trip I saw a lot of homeless people in Santa Monica California. And I wanted to give them some money. But my mum and cousin told me that you can't believe all of the homeless people. Some people pretend to be homeless just so they can get more money because they can then go shopping more, like that is just ridiculous. M<y point to my story is to not trust every homeless person you see. Only those who you feel are homeless.
Also, another thing I would like to add is while I was there, there was this sweet homeless guy sitting across the street from our hotel. He always sat there with his jacket and long pants on. It was summer time and yet he was wearing winter clothes because he had nothing else to wear. My mum just felt for him. So we went to the local Target there and brought a bunch of supplies and snacks and a bag for this man. We got him a blanket, a pillow, a water bottle, toilet supplies and small snacks. We then walked up to him and gave him all of that stuff. He was very shy but he took it and was extremely thankful. We found out from him that he was only 16 and that he got kicked out of his house by his abusive parents. It's sad. But I feel good because I made someones lif easier.
'Peace, Love and Positivity.'

BuddyKiller
Anispace Beginner

Post by BuddyKiller » 18 Apr 2016, 17:41

Sometimes its their own fault. :/

Killua
Anispace Champion
Anispace Champion

Post by Killua » 09 Apr 2017, 22:04

Time To Become Homeless!!
Last edited by Killua on 09 Apr 2017, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.
FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE | KINGDOM HEARTS III

ㅤㅤImage ㅤㅤㅤ

PapaKippy
Anispace Cadet
Anispace Cadet

Post by PapaKippy » 09 Apr 2017, 22:06

Where I live, I got a lot of homeless people around, but I feel like shit because I can't really give much.

Mirinae
Anispace Beginner

Post by Mirinae » 10 Apr 2017, 05:05

I always feel a huge sensation of guilt when I'm walking down the streets of crowded places with my family
like i.e Philidelphia or New York etc. Especially when I see them with a dog cuddled up next to them and they
have nothing but a plastic cup, two thin blankets and a little bit of dog food.

And when I see them when it's cold as hell out, I feel so bad because I have nothing on me I can
possibly give away that could make any difference.
I hardly have money on me or anything else when I'm out exploring the places on the walk
It just makes me feel terrible.

I know everyone has a story, people just choose to ignore it and judge by appearance
"Oh, that person is homeless because they didn't listen to their parents, they became delinquents, and they
made bad choices, don't help them because they deserve it." My mom would always say to me.

Even so, I still felt guilty that I had so much, and they didn't.
I know it would be a completely different story if they actually did do something bad enough to deserve it,
but you can't always assume that they did. Most of them, I'm sure had an issue and lost everything along with
their homes.
HighRoller wrote: WHY WOULD I NEED COINS? WTF AM I GOING TO DO WITH THOSE?

SH*T, OUT OF AMMO. BETTER THROW THESE COINS IN HOPES THEY WONT HIT A OLD POOR MAN AND HIS DAUGHTER WITHOUT A PINKY

Sasuke
Anispace Beginner

Post by Sasuke » 11 Apr 2017, 20:59

I see people giving them money, and then the homeless use it for drugs and beer.

Their decision to do that with their lives.

Emiya
Anispace Apprentice
Anispace Apprentice

Post by Emiya » 11 Apr 2017, 21:25

If you become homeless, you failed at life.

Hanaemi

Post by Hanaemi » 11 Apr 2017, 21:34

Why not just ask one homeless guy or gal if they want something to eat, rather then just giving them money to spend on alcohol or drugs mind as well as them " do you want something to eat " and if they say sure why not i would actually buy a homeless person something to eat.
Be considerate and be kind i mean there people so why treat them different when things didnt go exactly at planned that they once had ?
Not all homeless people will spend the money thats given to them for alcohol and drugs, but it seems like everyone i know, ( not saying everyone in the entire world ), only thinks that homeless people use the money for drugs and alcohol.
This is just my opinion on how homeless people are in my eyes.
" A personality of a dreamer and a smile that hides more pain than you can ever imagine. "