Animation Kings: American Cartoons or Japanese Cartoons?

Post your discussions here
Voiceless
Anispace Cadet
Anispace Cadet

Re: Animation Kings: American Cartoons or Japanese Cartoons

Post by Voiceless » 07 Dec 2014, 01:07

I like both, American cartoons are funny and entertaining...yet,
Anime has a whole other dimension to it. I dont know how to explain it, but there is so much emotion within Anime, it awakens a viewer's feelings, lets them wonder about life after wards,
Zankyou no Terror is a very good example of this, an anime that reveals the reality of the world we are in today.
There are so many good animes that just, bring life to a person's soul, it can either bring you to joy or make your day and life positive.
I think that's the secret in Anime, capturing the soul of the viewer,
that's why I'll never get tired of Anime.

TohsakaRin

Post by TohsakaRin » 07 Dec 2014, 01:12

You can't really compare the two, in my opinion. They have different audiences.

For some reason or another, in the West, cartoons are labeled as childish. That's why the only times you really see anything heavy are in video games or movies--and this is because they're appealing to wider groups. If we could honestly have comics with heavier topics (Saga, for example, or Y: The Last Man), I think Westerners will realize the popularity of animated media. Also, it's probably just our generation. I have a weird feeling some heavier, more adult-oriented cartoons that aren't meant to be funny will come out soon. I think The Boondocks was a step in the right direction with this, since, even though it's funny, it gets very real and tackles antiblackness. Also, Avatar: The Last Airbender and Avatar: The Legend of Korra are both very heavy. They aren't considered anime because they aren't Japanese, but they follow a similar aesthetic. "Comic book" style is how my brother put it.

I prefer anime, but it's only because I grew up with it. Its aesthetics appeal to me more. Japanese people read body language more than tones of people's voices, while Americans tend to focus more on the way people say things. I think that's why anime and manga capture more expression, and I find myself empathizing very strongly with the characters because of that. My dad had me watch Japanese cartoons as a kid, and then eventually, he started purchasing manga. He just.. brought home Marmalade Boy one day, and I was hooked! I believe my love of art was his reasoning behind this. To give me a link to my heritage that I could invest actual passion into.

I love American cartoons, though. Craig McCracken is one of my biggest inspirations artistically. I would give anything to see something done in his style that's less lighthearted.
Last edited by TohsakaRin on 07 Dec 2014, 01:26, edited 2 times in total.

Sinister
Anispace Pro
Anispace Pro

Post by Sinister » 07 Dec 2014, 01:15

Japanese cartoons

RedReaper wrote:Sometimes I feel like shoving horchata down your throat so you may accept it

ActiveDetermination
Anispace Apprentice
Anispace Apprentice

Post by ActiveDetermination » 07 Dec 2014, 01:39

There's a difference in animation style class. So Japanese animation!

Americans pay closer attention to it for a reason, they don't treat their audience like they're children, you will see blood on average in action animes rather than action cartoons.
CosmicGrimoire wrote:I'll probably read them but forget to respond 'Cuz I'm horrible

AnimeKillers
Anispace Apprentice
Anispace Apprentice

Post by AnimeKillers » 07 Dec 2014, 08:30

Wow I totally forgot I made this
Yohooo! The Boys.co Gang is looking to Kill you!

Animes be hatin' on my Toon Swagger

Spyro
Anispace Pro
Anispace Pro

Post by Spyro » 27 Oct 2015, 10:33

I realize that cartoon characters are more realistic then anime characters. Cartoon characters are fully developed after the first episode. While it takes a marathon for most anime characters to develop.

AbimeDeTenebres
Anime Reviewers

Post by AbimeDeTenebres » 27 Oct 2015, 19:02

Spyro wrote:I realize that cartoon characters are more realistic then anime characters. Cartoon characters are fully developed after the first episode. While it takes a marathon for most anime characters to develop.
that would make cartoon characters less realistic than anime characters. people change and grow over time, we aren't "fully developed" after one event in our lives take place. every single person we meet influences our behavior some how, and thus we are constantly changing, whether we like it or not.

Spyro
Anispace Pro
Anispace Pro

Post by Spyro » 28 Oct 2015, 06:03

AbimeDeTenebres wrote:that would make cartoon characters less realistic than anime characters. people change and grow over time, we aren't "fully developed" after one event in our lives take place. every single person we meet influences our behavior some how, and thus we are constantly changing, whether we like it or not.
Now that I think about it, alright look at it this way. Cartoon characters are basically given reality shows. That's where they full development come from. They were already like real people before they made the cut. That's how they play their roles so on point.

AbimeDeTenebres
Anime Reviewers

Post by AbimeDeTenebres » 01 Nov 2015, 15:45

Spyro wrote:
AbimeDeTenebres wrote:that would make cartoon characters less realistic than anime characters. people change and grow over time, we aren't "fully developed" after one event in our lives take place. every single person we meet influences our behavior some how, and thus we are constantly changing, whether we like it or not.
Now that I think about it, alright look at it this way. Cartoon characters are basically given reality shows. That's where they full development come from. They were already like real people before they made the cut. That's how they play their roles so on point.
my point still stands. there's no human being that is "fully developed". sure, we may have our own ideals that are solidified in our heads but that doesn't mean that we will continue to think that way throughout our lives. my opinions change all the time, i am constantly growing. characters that are like real people are characters who change throughout a series. they're not characters that stay stagnant throughout an entire show.

Killua
Anispace Champion
Anispace Champion

Re: Animation Kings: American Cartoons or Japanese Cartoons?

Post by Killua » 21 Feb 2017, 16:38

Can someone school me on something? how does american cartoons take up to 9-12 months to create one single episode with their simplistic animation and art? but Japanese Anime can take up to 2-3 weeks to be finished and it's far more detailed and has far better animations.

are american animators that awful?
FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE | KINGDOM HEARTS III

ㅤㅤImage ㅤㅤㅤ