Ruby's Guide to Making Amazing Art

Show your personal arts, videos or anything that you've created in this forum.

Moderators: RukiaKuchiki, tsundere

tsundere
Forum moderators
Forum moderators

Ruby's Guide to Making Amazing Art

Post by tsundere » 24 Mar 2016, 16:51

NOTE: THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS!

Hey all!! This is a placeholder for now, but over the next few weeks, I'll be posting new guides touching various topics. Please let me know what you'd like to see here, and based on demand, I'll touch on various things. So far, what I have planned are:

-fundamentals (composition, space, values, etc)
-color, color relationships, color theory (covers how color works and how to apply it to your art)
-wet media (paint and ink)
-dry media (graphite, charcoal, etc)
-commercial art vs fine art
-illustration
-sketchbooks and why they are vital

Post here if you would also like to see something else.

Additionally, I'll be starting up a critique thread in the next few days or so for those that would like feedback from me or from peers regarding their drawing/painting/artmaking skills. Keep in mind that I do not edit, therefore these threads will not touch on edits at all.

Also, if you ever want some tips from me personally, you are always welcome to come to me privately.

DISCLAIMER: I know next to nothing about edits. I'm not a graphic/web designer. I hate doing that stuff! This guide is strictly for those who draw/paint/etc.!
NAVIGATION:
Getting Started
Last edited by tsundere on 28 Apr 2016, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.

tsundere
Forum moderators
Forum moderators

Re: Ruby's Guide to Making Amazing Art - vote now!

Post by tsundere » 18 Jun 2016, 14:12

GETTING STARTED

Hey guys! Many of you like to draw as I've seen from the drawing thread. I would imagine that some of you want to take that skill to the next level. How, you might ask? Well, I'll tell you everything you need to know to get started!

REMINDER: Art takes a long time to develop. It is a learned talent that anyone can achieve through hard work and dedication. It's never to early or too late to start. Everyone starts somewhere! Don't be discouraged!

First, and most importantly, you need to ask yourself the following questions. What's great about these questions is that you can apply them to daily life and other forms of art! These are very important to be considering at all times, since they'll influence you as long as you're making work. Don't be afraid to ask yourself this stuff periodically, as art is as fluid as you are. It grows organically and changes over time, even if you're a professional. c:
Why am I making art? Am I making this for fun? For art's sake? Is there something I want to evoke with my work? Do I want to tell stories?

What do I like about my art? The way I line? The way I render? Maybe I like my sense of color?

Who and what are my inspirations? Is it music that inspires me? My favorite artist? TV show?

Where do my influences come from? While this ties into the above question, this deals primarily in where the roots of your work come from stylistically and in regards to subject matter.

Now, the best way to hone your skills as an artist are to do/have the following:
-life drawing
-critques from peers/friends and from people who've been in the game longer than you
-experimentation
Life Drawing

The bread and butter of good artwork. Do you really think any of those anime you watched were animated straight out of people's heads without any prior training? Hell no! Proper skill in animating is achieved through years of rigorous and intense training in figure and life. Just because Gurren Lagann has a bunch of giant mechs doesn't mean they weren't referenced from the human figure and how it moves. Bambi wasn't just drawn out of thin air - he was derived from a deer, which was studied by Disney's artists in real life.

I know, I know. Observational drawing sounds boring as fuck, right? I hate to break it to you, but you can't rely on fanart to get good until you reference real life and learn the rules. In art, it's only after the rules are learned that you're able to break them. You need to familiarize yourself with real forms and light before you can truly master art.
Critiques

Yeah, yeah. I know. Nobody likes to be criticized, right? Well, unfortunately for artists, constructive criticism is the only real way to properly develop. See, your peers and mentors are valuable wells of information. While they may tell you to improve some part or change x thing about your work, they're generally able to provide suggestions and advice on how to improve, or point you in a direction they think your work is going. This is fundamental in your development as an artist. Some people may be harsh, but you've got to gain some confidence and hear them out. They're there to help you. It's all to help you.

Also, make sure to follow the image above. Critique is great. Unsolicited critique is not. Only crit when it's appropriate. Don't go saying someone needs to work on x thing if they didn't ask when they posted it.
Experimentation

Experimentation is extremely important. It's great to be good at one thing, but eventually, your progress will plateau. Why? Because trying something new helps you understand what you were already doing from another perspective. With that new information, you can figure out where you want to go and how to make your work better.

How do you go about experimentation? Well, you could try a new style just for fun! You could try lining in pen instead of with paint. You could paint instead of draw. You could use acrylic instead of watercolor. There are so many options available to you when you're experimenting. Try new things! Have fun with it! That's the whole point of experimentation!
Things to remember:

-Always keep a sketchbook or notepad on you. You never know when you'll be inspired.
-Look at art books and study your favorite artists. Buy their books. Drawing guides are plentiful and extremely helpful in the long run.
-Study color theory. Color is extremely important.
-Values! Light/darkness makes or breaks an image. Even if you're doing flat color, you always need to consider a light source.
-Don't forget that art classes in your area are always available.Those can help you a great deal.

If you need specific advice, you're always welcome to ask me! I'm always available and eager to help someone improve.