Editing Resource Center (Read First Page!)

Show your personal arts, videos or anything that you've created in this forum.

Moderators: RukiaKuchiki, tsundere

RukiaKuchiki
Forum moderators
Forum moderators

Re: Editing Resource Center(Read First Page!)

Post by RukiaKuchiki » 11 Mar 2016, 21:06

Luxtis wrote:
Hello everyone, I'm here today to bring you a tutorial on GIMP. I will be splitting the tutorial into parts as there is A LOT of great things to learn. Why did I choose GIMP to teach you?

Perhaps you're a new editor? Maybe you've been one for some time? Heck, maybe you're already advanced!?

Maybe your edits aren't turning out how you imagined? Maybe you want to be capable of more advanced techniques? But wait, your free online editor doesn't allow that. Maybe you considered going straight to Photoshop? Don't do it! Chances are Photoshop is to advanced for you.

Please listen...

GIMP is an extremely great and useful editor! There's so much basics to learn first, and I feel GIMP offers this best for newcomers. It's a free download with, as I mentioned, a lot of great things for you to learn. Is GIMP better than Photoshop? No. Will you leave with the skills you want? Most likely, yes.

"B-but Luxtis, why don't I just look up a Photoshop tutorial? If GIMPs not better." - By all means if you want to learn Photoshop, go ahead. I'm not stopping you. It's just my personal view and experience that GIMP will help you in the long run, more easily and efficiently. Now...

If you are going to learn GIMP, let's get a move on!

What is GIMP?

GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is a freely available open source application for creating and manipulating graphic images that runs on Linux, other Unix-based operating systems, and also on Windows and Mac OS X. GIMP is distributed under licensing terms defined by the GNU project. You are likely to find GIMP as one of the optional applications that come in any large Linux package such as those distributed by Debian and Red Hat. You can also download it directly.

What are some of the things GIMP offer?

Painting
-Full suite of painting tools including Brush, Pencil, Airbrush, Clone, etc.

-Sub-pixel sampling for all paint tools for high quality anti-aliasing.

-Extremely powerful gradient editor and blend too.

-Supports custom brushes and patterns.

(I'd recommend DevianArt for this though)

System
-Tile based memory management so image size is limited only by available disk space.

-Virtually unlimited number of images open at one time.

-Advanced Manipulation.

-Full alpha channel support.

-Layers and channels.

-Multiple Undo/Redo (limited only by diskspace)

-Editable text layers.

-Transformation tools including rotate, scale, shear and flip.

-Selection tools including rectangle, rounded rectangle, ellipse, free, fuzzy
Foreground extraction tool.

-Advanced path tool doing bezier and polygonal selections.

-Transformable paths, transformable selections.

-Quickmask to paint a selection.

Extensible
-A Procedural Database for calling internal GIMP functions from external programs as in Script-fu.

-Advanced scripting capabilities (Scheme, Python, Perl)

-Plug-ins which allow for the easy addition of new file formats and new effect filters.

Animation
-Load and save animations in a convenient frame-as-layer format
MNG support.

-Frame Navigator (in GAP, the GIMP Animation Package)

-Onion Skin (in GAP, the GIMP Animation Package)

-Bluebox (in GAP, the GIMP Animation Package)

-File Handling.

-File formats supported include bmp, gif, jpeg, mng, pcx, pdf, png, ps, psd, svg, tiff, tga, xpm, and many others.

-Load, display, convert, save to many file formats.

-SVG path import/export.

And much more!

Installing GIMP

GIMP is available for many different computing platforms, including GNU/Linux, OS X and Microsoft Windows. The current stable versions are 2.8.x and this tutorial will not be fully correct if you are using an older version than 2.8.0.

Lesson 1: Cropping

Let's start with something simple... cropping!

1. Open your image

GIMP: File > Open

2. Select the Crop Tool

Start by selecting the Crop Tool located in the Toolbox. It should look like this: Image
Clicking SHIFT + C is also a way to access the Crop Tool while in GIMP.

3. Select the area you want

Start by holding the left mouse button and drag to select the area you want to crop.
You're selected area will be bright while the rest of the image will be dim. If you mess up, there's always undo, so don't worry.

4. Using Size

Scroll down the dialogue box by dragging or pressing the arrows and find Size.
You can adjust the size by typing in the size boxes or by using the arrows on the side.

5. Changing the position of your selection

Hover over the selected area, you should see your mouse turn into a diamond shape.
Click and hold the left mouse button to move your selection wherever you want.

Position works in the same way as Size.

6. The Crop

If you're satisfied with what you have selected, double-click on the bright part of the picture or you can press Enter or Return on your keyboard while in GIMP.

7. Save & finish

File > Save or Keyboard shortcut: CTRL + S while in GIMP.

And with that, we end our lesson on cropping.

I just added these to the frontpage.. Very helpful tutorials, thanks for sharing with us. :3

heartfiliaforever
Anispace Cadet
Anispace Cadet

Re: Editing Resource Center (Read First Page!)

Post by heartfiliaforever » 31 Jul 2016, 13:55

Honestly, I would love to learn making a BG, but the problem is that the ones I do never fit the page because of the templates, besides the fact that they are crappy too... So, I would like to know if there's any toturials around about how to make a template.

xNyctophilia
Forum moderators
Forum moderators

Post by xNyctophilia » 31 Jul 2016, 14:16

heartfiliaforever wrote:Honestly, I would love to learn making a BG, but the problem is that the ones I do never fit the page because of the templates, besides the fact that they are crappy too... So, I would like to know if there's any toturials around about how to make a template.
I'd recommend using Awesome Screenshot. It's an Add-on for your browser that allows you to make screenshots of an entire page. So you get the right propotions and size for your backgrounds.
Image Image Image

Space
Anispace Pro
Anispace Pro

Post by Space » 31 Jul 2016, 14:17

heartfiliaforever wrote:Honestly, I would love to learn making a BG, but the problem is that the ones I do never fit the page because of the templates, besides the fact that they are crappy too... So, I would like to know if there's any toturials around about how to make a template.

Do you know how to take screenshots on your computer? I know Firefox has a tool you can install that can take screenshots of the whole webpage which makes template making easier. I am not on my computer at the moment so I can't show you.

Dull
Anispace Apprentice
Anispace Apprentice

Post by Dull » 31 Jul 2016, 14:40

Snipping tool is the screenshot app for microsoft computers. I pretty sure Apple computers have them too.
Embrace your inner insanity.

heartfiliaforever
Anispace Cadet
Anispace Cadet

Post by heartfiliaforever » 01 Aug 2016, 14:14

Thank you so much for the help everyone! I used Awesome Screenshot and it worked! Thank you really. :D

Katie
Anispace Apprentice
Anispace Apprentice

Post by Katie » 05 Sep 2016, 20:12

OMG I FORGOT TO POST THIS....

GUYS! I'm back! So if you need help just ask! I'm always looking after my original thread. Other than that Ruru and tsundere can always help ya cx!

LOOK FOWARD TO SOME TUTORIALS!

Weedo

Post by Weedo » 10 Feb 2017, 17:56

Anyone have a code that can keep the same style that my profile has, but just without the statuses on the top?