Cinderella Man
The Pursuit of Happyness
October Sky
Miracle in Cell No. 7
It's A Wonderful Life
Dead Poets Society
Grave of the Fireflies
The Revenant

My favorites are kind of all over the place, but each of these films have influenced me in one way or another. I really enjoy films that pull at the heartstrings and opens your eyes to make you really think deeply and differently about various things in life. If I finish watching a movie without a meaningful takeaway then I honestly feel I wasted my time.

Ekko
Anispace Cadet
Anispace Cadet

Re: film club

Post by Ekko » 20 Oct 2016, 07:23

Grind wrote:Cinderella Man
The Pursuit of Happyness
October Sky
Miracle in Cell No. 7
It's A Wonderful Life
Dead Poets Society
Grave of the Fireflies
The Revenant
What a lovely selection of films. I think I've only seen October Sky and bits of The Revenant. Is the "It's a Wonderful Life" referring to the 1946 movie? I have that on my watchlist ;3;

- - -
Anyways, I want to mention another movie for October.

Yesterday I watch An American Werewolf in London, and now I'll talk about Suspiria.

"A candy-colored nightmare from Italian terror maestro Dario Argento, Suspiria weaves a menacing tale of witchcraft as a fairy tale gone horribly awry. From the moment she arrives in Freiberg, Germany, to attend the prestigious Tans Academy, American ballet-dancer Suzy Bannion (Jessica Harper) senses that something horribly evil lurks within the walls of the age-old institution" (letterboxd).

This 1977 horror film was a really nice thing to watch. I feel like I wasn't too involved with it to get the full scare fest in it, but that's not essentially the point. The vibrant colors were enough to make things unsettling. It's a deliciously colored palette of the most intense reds, greens and blues that I've seen in awhile, and the music is seriously no help. I've actually lowered the volume a few times because the soundtrack kept making me think someone was out to murder me.

Here's a beautiful motif of my movies: the neck! I finished, not only a werewolf movie, but also a Alfred Hitchcock movie called Strangers on a Train. The antagonist straggled his victim to death and now here in this movie not only do we have a dog chew up and mutilate his owner's throat but we have a hanged person and our protagonist's friend cut at the throat.

Nice stuff.

Never mind the fact that this movie contains some cheesy imagery, in my opinion, of today's standards. This movie was creepy and alluring. I didn't like the acting in this movie all that much but I still felt the terror in their emotions. I could practically feel them being scared. The first two deaths were just chilling. The camera lingering over the corpses just really captivated my attention.

I personally wouldn't call this a masterpiece in every aspect, but the tension and visuals were stunning. It's worth at least watching once.
"҉͚̥̹D̮͉̰̼̦o̢̠u̪̥͞b̠̺̩͎̲͙t͓ ̼͓̲m̸̜̗̩e͜ ͈̙͖̣-̣̥̮ ̨I͏ ̭̣̰̪̜͢l̳̞̟̬̹o̴͈̥v̵̭̻e͏̖ ͙̳͚̘͖t̸͇͉̻̮haͅt̻͇͓̮̙"̠

Ekko
Anispace Cadet
Anispace Cadet

Post by Ekko » 21 Oct 2016, 04:52

Here's my third film that I wanted to do for October.

Don't Breathe is a pretty recent movie of this year, and the movie I kept my eye on since the first release of its trailer. I was impressed with the trailer, seriously. I remember being in the theaters for Sausage Party, and I flinched hard when Don't Breathe played. It actually startled me. Unlike the horror films they've been popping out recently.

So was the film worth it? Yeah, I should think so. It's not breathtaking (eheh), but it does have its moments worthwhile. This movie plays oddly enough with its false victories, and the twists in the movie are pretty wild. I didn't even know what to say when you're introduced to the girl down in the basement.

I feel like for a movie of this day and age it's worth watching at least once. The acting wasn't awful, and I felt genuine chills sometimes as they navigate in the dark. They repeatedly get themselves to be outside only to fall right back into the house, and it wasn't that bad either. It didn't feel out of place nor did it feel too forced.

It's a pretty standard movie. I could say that the characters might sway your opinion. The antagonist was interesting as a character but I honestly didn't feel that connected with our main characters. Rocky is somewhat decent. Alex was meh. Money was a "Good Riddance" character in his own way based on how he acts.

Regardless, I'd still recommend it.
"҉͚̥̹D̮͉̰̼̦o̢̠u̪̥͞b̠̺̩͎̲͙t͓ ̼͓̲m̸̜̗̩e͜ ͈̙͖̣-̣̥̮ ̨I͏ ̭̣̰̪̜͢l̳̞̟̬̹o̴͈̥v̵̭̻e͏̖ ͙̳͚̘͖t̸͇͉̻̮haͅt̻͇͓̮̙"̠

Ekko
Anispace Cadet
Anispace Cadet

Post by Ekko » 27 Oct 2016, 15:25

Welp, I've been trying to keep up with school work on top of some movie watching and quite honestly I can't think of any other reason to stay grounded to any particular horror. It's just the execution of it all.

So I watched A Nightmare on Elm Street for the first time. The older one. You know, the one with fvcking Johnny Depp.

Tell me why that never crossed my mind to think that he was in a movie like this and he dies in one of the weirdest ways ever. It's nice to see a young Johnny Depp again; I kind of enjoyed his Crybaby show biz.

But that's besides the point, I recall some scenes because the internet loves to poke fun at how ridiculous some scenes are. I couldn't forget the whole mom scene where she gets sucked in through the door window even if I tried.

I thought it was pretty good. Not all too bad. It gave me a good scare just from the THOUGHT of it all. I wasn't really expecting the background story to be honest. Then again I wasn't sure what I was expecting. The bloody messes were great, the actors were decent for their time and the premise was amazing but y'know that's what made it so great in the first place.

I have no idea why I kept laughing at a weirded out Freddy as he stumbles around the house, catches on fire and pretty much disintegrated into what looks like pixie dust at the end.

Ants
Anispace Apprentice
Anispace Apprentice

Re: Film Club

Post by Ants » 27 Oct 2016, 17:17

I didn't realize that people were posting entire movie reviews in this thread
actually, don't contact me.

Ekko
Anispace Cadet
Anispace Cadet

Post by Ekko » 27 Oct 2016, 17:28

Ants wrote:I didn't realize that people were posting entire movie reviews in this thread
just me

Ants
Anispace Apprentice
Anispace Apprentice

Post by Ants » 27 Oct 2016, 17:31

Ekko wrote:
Ants wrote:I didn't realize that people were posting entire movie reviews in this thread
just me

Keep it up
actually, don't contact me.

PanicAtTheDisco
Anispace Beginner

Post by PanicAtTheDisco » 29 Oct 2016, 16:53

So, I didn't have internet and it really cut in my time with movies. And guess what? It was the perfect weekend TO watch movies.

Nonetheless, I managed to sneak in this beauty;;;

JUST FVCKIN' KIDDING.

This movie was disgusting. In a really good way. I genuinely have the chills right now from that ending. It's a rather simple concept; I'll tell you. It's not fancy, and really, the pacing wasn't all that slow. I was pretty engaged the whole way through.

Just witnessing the guy go into a disarray of stages is so greatly paced. I watched him go from wanting to be saved to accepting his own fate to save "a part of me" to pleasejustkillme. All carefully placed near the end of the movie. That's some intense emotions to go through in a quick pace. Watching him go insane gives me so many mixed emotions.

At one point, I want to hate him for being an asshole. Then I want to hug him because he can't HELP being an asshole. The fly is an asshole. We should just kill flies because they're assholes.

If you haven't noticed, this is a monster horror film. Point blank. Yeah, the premise surrounds a fly. Yeah, that doesn't sound all that great compared to how today is.

However, you'd be wrong. It's really got that good modern feel to it for being an old concept. I believe there was a 1940s version of this movie as well. I felt myself cringe at times to the visuals in this movie. From the slow transformation to the ending. Even before that, there was a baboon that got its insides flipped inside out.

A baboon. Flipped inside out. In its gorey detail.

Oh, that was a sight.

I liked the love story of this movie. As with almost every movie, there's a bit of cupid running around in the mix. It doesn't feel forced, and it's very sincere. Even as Seth Brundle turns into a fly, Ronnie still cares about him. She's still trying to "save" him even when she absolutely knows that there's nothing they can do.

The whole abortion thing was a nice touch. Not many people like to talk about things like that but hey possible fly baby merits a decision of abortion, y'know. Especially when you get a glimpse at what it may actually look like.

This movie will make you cringe of the disgusting imagery, the little bits of dialogue that goes around and just the messiness of it all played out. It's a great film, seriously. The ending GAVE ME THE CHILLS.

I am STILL very chilly. It makes me feel squeamish when I'm not even that type of person. I mean I watched Saw, and I watched things like the Human Centipede. Yes, those made me squeamish at times. Not always, but at times. But did I have the expectation to get squeamish at all for this film? Absolutely not. I would think nothing can really phase me at this point.

But uh

Obviously, I was wrong. I don't know or how, but I love that this movie was able to make me go, "whoa, oh, oh no, ew" and just like really mean it.

PanicAtTheDisco
Anispace Beginner

Post by PanicAtTheDisco » 31 Oct 2016, 18:14

Hey, so Halloween.

Yeah, that time of the month. As I'm here eating candy, I'll
just briefly go over two movies this time instead of one.
Hopefully, I won't talk about them too long.

"After a teenager has a terrifying vision of him and his friends dying in a plane crash,
he prevents the accident only to have Death hunt them down, one by one" (letterboxd).

Did I pick this over Alien? Yes. Why? No idea.

Final Destination is probably one of those movies that no one
ever asked me to watch, and no one ever bothered to even
mention to me yet I still remember it. I have no idea as to WHY
I even remember it. Again no one actually told me I should watch
it and actually TOLD me to watch Alien. But guess what, fvckers

I chose this fvckin' movie.

And liked it. Y'know whenever I watch these movies I can't help
but to think, whoa THIS is the movie that people remember. THIS
is the movie that had a buzz at one point. At least enough buzz
to keep me remembering. It's not too old. A 2000 film. Probably
the second youngest movie I've seen for Halloween.

What can I say? It's wonderful. I liked the premise. What's scarier
than the grim reaper? I think it has it's moments of being cheesy
or just a bit too silly to take seriously. I laughed when the guy fell
in the bathtub, I mean.

The actors are nice. And the overall act of our protagonist trying to
go out and rescue people with his whole "it's a plan! it's destiny!"
was just enough to make me stare at the screen and blink a few times.

I enjoyed the death scenes. I think they were pretty nice, good death
scenes. I was satisfied with a bit of death, yknow.

Just some good, bloody messes.

"New England in the 1630s: William and Katherine lead a devout Christian life with five children, homesteading on the edge of an impassable wilderness. When their newborn son vanishes and crops fail, the family turns on one another. Beyond their worst fears, a supernatural evil lurks in the nearby wood" (letterboxd).

Art. This is what the movie is: a form of art.

I'll tell you right now that it does not follow the mainstream
horror film formula. So, if you want a movie that tells you
when to be scared then go find another movie. I wasn't really
scared of this movie, granted. I was, however, paranoid. As hell.
I kept looking at my mirrors and shiit, I don't know.

It's one of those movies that really makes you feel uneasy. You feel disturbed.

Not even just that. It's simply beautiful to look at. It has a nice
layer of film that makes it feel old yet not tooooo old. It feels vintage.
Past that. It just feels like something you're discovering for the first
time in your grandma's stuff, and you decide to pop it open for secrets.
Then you wish you hadn't.

You wish you hadn't at all.

You won't find happiness in this movie. It will grip you and throw
you down hard. There's nothing in this movie that's happy like.
Just creepy. Everything down to the rabbit to the children to the ending.

Just creepy. And it will never let you go even past the credits.

This movie is simply for people who can appreciate for what a film is.
For what artists want to do for film. It strives against what film today
stands for. It strives to express itself, not for need, but for desire to be
shared as a horrific masterpiece.

Its symbolism, theme, structure, camera work, acting, everything.

It's a beautiful piece of film that will go unwanted by those who are too
stuck out into what we are mindlessly exposed to.

Not saying this is like my favorite movie or anything. I don't appreciate it
for the entertainment, but I appreciate the hell out of it for what it was
able to accomplish.

It succeeded.

PanicAtTheDisco
Anispace Beginner

Post by PanicAtTheDisco » 04 Nov 2016, 18:06

There's two things that will be addressed:

R.I.P. my little baby Anton Viktorovich Yelchin. I loved you so instantaneously.
&
NAZI PUNKS, F**K OFF!

Now, on that note, I'll just say that I definitely want to rewatch this beauty.
This will probably be my more "on first glance" review of it, but it's a movie
I genuinely wanted to watch and some day talk about. I finished Finding Dory
(average), Zoolander (whoabrowhoa), and Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping
(wild). THIS movie was a must when it comes to discussing about.

Again, this will be a first glance review. I wasn't TOO involved with the movie
because I kept getting sidetracked with the munchies and what not. I will
definitely clarify that the color scheme and camerawork for this movie was
my absolutely favorite.

The Green Room really highlights on that edgy,
punk look described by the inner feelings of the band. I loved the green.
It wasn't just on the cover. It was aesthetic pinpoint on the overall
movie layout. It just made me want to invest in color theory even more
because it was just so eye pleasing. It was sinister yet inviting. Like a
very twisted punk wonderland.

I probably won't touch on the characters, but I really liked the way they all
reacted to this situation. I will probably rewatch it to invest on how the characters
are individually but I just liked watching them get through things and ultimately
it feels like there's no protection for them. At all.

Now, WHAT happens to them. Oh, yeah. Let's talk about those gorey details.
Guess what, there wasn't much. Believe me, it was intense but it wasn't so
OH GOD JESUS F**CK WHOA BLOOD AHHH. I rather enjoyed the cuts on Pat
because that.. was just intense. I liked it, but I didn't like it. It was seriously
just hard to watch, that first fight scene. I kept holding my arm, holding my
stomach. The gore in this movie is so simplified compared to most movies
that invest in death, just constant death. Yet, this movie really makes each
one of the violent scenes MATTER. You are gripped into not wanting more.
You're gripped into thinking it's scary as hell for being so simple.

It was gruesome. And it was beautifully done. Definitely a movie worth
watching if you ever get the chance.

Oh, did I mention that Patrick Stewart was in this?