What is your vision for Anispace?

Drop your suggestions, ideas, and reports in here.

Moderators: Auer, xNyctophilia

Brutal
Anispace Cadet
Anispace Cadet

What is your vision for Anispace?

Post by Brutal » 20 Feb 2016, 18:44

On multiple platforms the community has been given the opportunity to air out their grievances and suggest their own ideas as to how this site could be better. You may have thrown your hat in and offered an idea or two to tackle one problem that happened to be the subject of discussion that day. But in the most general, all-encompassing mind-frame you can muster, what is or what do you think your grand vision for Anispace should or can be? Think for a few moments and envision a scenario in which you had total control of this website along with the necessary resources and skill-set to impose your will and shape this small world in your image. What would be your grand master-plan for Anispace? What would it look like? How would it function? For whom would it function for? How would go about taking reasonable steps to accommodate and listen to your core audience? How would you build a relationship with your community and keep things fresh?

I. The look
I don't regard myself as an artist in any fashion, so it would be difficult for me to outline visual aesthetics that I would regard as acceptable on a website under my control. The best I can describe is that I happen to champion a lot of simple yet committed to structured building blocks and welcoming colors. Admittedly in this department, despite the lack of discernible (though minor) updates, I would argue Anispace excels in this department. In short, I like the look of it. The colors, the shapes, the navigation. It's something I would adopt if I ever got ambitious enough and created my own world.

II. Whose site is it anyway?
Another thing I'll give the site credit for is it's emphasis on catering to a particular sub-culture and shaping it's walls to attract people with anime and things of the like as the cornerstone for what ultimately unites the population to varying degrees. That is not to say I would discourage the other areas such as video games, music, technology, RP, etc; nor would I discourage the practice of finding others within our community with which you can converse with about similar interests and mutually build your knowledge and appreciation on the subject. I would press however that one of the necessary steps to build a sense of union and align the people on the same page would be to give the site as a whole a sense of identity and unifying purpose. "What are we all here for? What brought us here initially? Well it's X." With this in mind, while accommodating others users and open the floors for other forms of discussion, I'd very much spread the umbrella over all with a label that says: This is an anime website.

III. Target audience and Building the Community
"Every person is an individual. Every person has untapped potential". I'm not a fan of socially inclusive ideas. But on this idea alone that I have fought hard against for so long I will admit, thanks to the wisdom of a wise girl, that I was wrong. Each and every human being, regardless of the lack of skill, public acts of stupidity, and general agitation that these people may provoke in us, have the capacity to change greatly for the better. To mold themselves gradually into a productive person who is a value to themselves and to the people that care about them. It's all about having the will as an individual to want to change and having the emotional support of his/her friends and loved ones to assist this person on his journey; and on a public scale, opening the floors to allow those individuals to flourish.

So then the question becomes: How do we set the conditions necessary to encourage this behavior? On a practical level, we want a better behaved, smarter, more productive community. A set of people who help each other grow as human beings instead of mocking and belittling for their perceived failures and shortcomings. We want a set of people who are only too happy to share in their hobbies and interests with active listening and giving; while simultaneously encouraging others to jump in and perhaps even work together on a united front in tangible projects aimed at celebrating those very same interests and hobbies. Something that grand and challenging surely has more than one answer to that question. For my money, the solution is to lead by example. Believe that everyone here is a diamond in the rough, that everyone is capable of contributing and greatness, that everyone here is capable of cultivating and sharing in your passion and having a damn great time doing it. And then going out to prove that this is correct one day at a time; helping those that stumble along the way and encouraging them to shine brighter and brighter in whatever they do here.

That sounds like a vital ingredient to a healthy community to me.

Mika
Anispace Champion
Anispace Champion

Re: What is your vision for Anispace?

Post by Mika » 20 Feb 2016, 18:50

Everything will be manly.

And pink.

Spyro
Anispace Pro
Anispace Pro

Post by Spyro » 20 Feb 2016, 20:08

My vision of Anispace is how it used to be.

I see the old home page look as ahead in design, better organized. The only occasional updates it would need is new banners. Modernize the forum ranking system, emoticons, better organize the individual anime sections and add a icon of the main protagonist of his/her anime series beside either individual section. They were great at the bottom of the forum page. It felt chill.

I would keep the site's identity anime. Its cool because at the same time, its a anime themed website, but isn't all the time anime focused with the different sections.

If I were admin, I would be active or pass the torch to someone I know. I would actually admin promote Skypiea and Ruttenbutter with the necessary power they need. Two admins are better than one. If anything happen, I would be good because I would have the power to reset the site as far back as I want as the original admin.

A better audience really takes a better admin. A commonly updated site would develop the community since they would see change. Right now, the site can't exactly be taken seriously.

Venerable

Post by Venerable » 20 Feb 2016, 21:17

For a technical side, I would transfer the site over to a Ruby/Ruby on Rails coding for object based design, turning it more from a "Website" into a "Website Application". (Web-App).

Sticking with a PostgreSQL database (which currently with the sites mass of data, PostgreSQL is better at holding a lot of data and analytical transactions, as well as managing tables and joins for tables (allowing for descending tables that have easier writing to joined tables using SQL queries/trigger inheritance)). The speed is slightly lower in PostgreSQL, but the simple act that it will never "bug out" as sometimes it does on here, will help eliminate errors and help refocus on the sites overall performance when pulling and writing data (I noticed with large HTML code the site bugs and sometimes throws back unnecessary errors when trying to process the data).

There are also several security issues that I have noticed (specifically with logging in / backing to a page before, revolving around user sessions. I would abstract the HTML/CSS part of the about me into its own compiler screen where updates could be seen on the spot so you didn't have to preview and change so much. Instead it would happen real time. There are also a few issues with that, that have to be fixed. I'd keep track via IP how many accounts a user has on a particular address and shoot back a "You have too many accounts" page if a user tried to sign up with too many accounts.

I would get rid of PHPBB because it's a third party service and instead completely re-design the forums (also making it so users could change the forum colors, whether to show certain things etc. ) so you don't have to rely on a third party service, thus all the code is maintained in home and you can easily make changes to it.

Change the home page a little bit, remove the weekly comment stuff, change how popular anime is presented/discussed, make it so users could have an IM system with their friends in the bottom corner of the screen so they can chat up their friends online without having to go to their page to comment them, have chat rooms on the side of the screen, global chat room, video sharing, so maybe you could gather a bunch of friends and all watch an anime together using the chat room feature. Have a whole lot of revision on the emphasis of anime.

Most of all, I'd have a update section on the front showing the updates. I'd program events so maybe at certain times a month, an anime would be live streamed from the site so members could go and watch it all together and talk about it and keep up to date on it. I'd have users host events, participate in it, have fun. Have a global "Admin" presence. Talk with users, take their suggestions. Event suggestions, code image sharing, build an image upload system so you can upload images for backgrounds directly from the site. Share work with friends, build a "Code repository" so you can scroll through code and see how it "looks" with an example page (so you don't have to go to the forums and scroll through pages trying to find code, instead it would be on a simple scroll down infanitly page where you could see previews first, then could click on a preview to send you to the code (which I would have a button so you could easily copy it to your clipboard, or, send it directly into the "HTML/CSS" portion of your page (no copy/paste required, muhahaha). The code wouldn't be highlightable because... I would also have a unchangeable, "Created By" section on the "HTML/CSS" section, so when you would upload code to the repository, you would specify the code you want for your "Copyright", which would then be sent immediately to the uneditable portion of the page when someone tries to copy your code, and your copyright would be on there, unaccessable and unchangeable.) I'd have to think of a way to get around someone just writing out the code blatantly.. Maybe have it so your code would have to be "approved" before updating. Hmm. I dunno.

Add tutorials on HTML/CSS as the admin, add tutorials on how to edit things. Add a "Support" section where you can file complains/bugs. Add a "Suggestions" pane and things like that.

Devise a complete subsection of the site for the visual arts. So you could see popular pictures/artists/designers/coders, previews and discussions of their works.

For the community itself I would integrate more on the connections between members, anime, and friends. Adding status updates for friends that can only be seen by friends, add anime groups, promote members works on the front page, have weekly contests, promote writing, art, coding, reviewing and have competitions for it. Have poetry competitions hell I don't know. Make a whole new subsection for that maybe. This is already going on, but we need a way for EVERYONE to see it and get involved. Right now you have to sort of dig into the forums a little to find this stuff, which a lot of users don't use the forums. Instead of relying on the forums, abstract that and throw links to it on the front page so users could get involved quicker and integrated properly and faster.

There's so many different ways to integrate the site. And you don't have to wait to release huge changes all at once. Make gradual, small changes, with secure code that doesn't break, and bam, you will have an awesome site in no time with a flowing developer-moderator-community relationship that flows smoothly.

Also I would integrate tools for banning IP addresses, and providing better security for the site as a whole using modern web security techniques (I even have access to a team of people who could try to hack the site and find bugs when I would be done with it).

I would also build triggers to clear out data (members, users) who have either been banned for a long time, or have been inactive for a long time. (Allowing really cool usernames to be used again).

EDIT:

OH. And before I forget. I would enhance and improve the App to update to a fully functional application you can use to browse the site.

EDIT2:

From your phone, or any device other than a computer.

EDIT3:

I would also use Coffeescript to generate the JavaScript code for the site.

EDIT4:

Add better games. I'm sure I could Python up a mockup of Impossible Game in like 3 days.

EDIT5:

I would also freaking add stuff for changing global style. Like, you could click "Center" and each forum post you make would automatically enter "
" for you. Or automatically have your text a certain way. You know?
Last edited by Venerable on 20 Feb 2016, 21:44, edited 4 times in total.

Kyotachi
Anispace Apprentice
Anispace Apprentice

Post by Kyotachi » 20 Feb 2016, 21:28

Venerable wrote:For a technical side, I would transfer the site over to a Ruby/Ruby on Rails coding for object based design, turning it more from a "Website" into a "Website Application". (Web-App).

Sticking with a PostgreSQL database (which currently with the sites mass of data, PostgreSQL is better at holding a lot of data and analytical transactions, as well as managing tables and joins for tables (allowing for descending tables that have easier writing to joined tables using SQL queries/trigger inheritance)). The speed is slightly lower in PostgreSQL, but the simple act that it will never "bug out" as sometimes it does on here, will help eliminate errors and help refocus on the sites overall performance when pulling and writing data (I noticed with large HTML code the site bugs and sometimes throws back unnecessary errors when trying to process the data).

There are also several security issues that I have noticed (specifically with logging in / backing to a page before, revolving around user sessions. I would abstract the HTML/CSS part of the about me into its own compiler screen where updates could be seen on the spot so you didn't have to preview and change so much. Instead it would happen real time. There are also a few issues with that, that have to be fixed. I'd keep track via IP how many accounts a user has on a particular address and shoot back a "You have too many accounts" page if a user tried to sign up with too many accounts.

I would get rid of PHPBB because it's a third party service and instead completely re-design the forums (also making it so users could change the forum colors, whether to show certain things etc. ) so you don't have to rely on a third party service, thus all the code is maintained in home and you can easily make changes to it.

Change the home page a little bit, remove the weekly comment stuff, change how popular anime is presented/discussed, make it so users could have an IM system with their friends in the bottom corner of the screen so they can chat up their friends online without having to go to their page to comment them, have chat rooms on the side of the screen, global chat room, video sharing, so maybe you could gather a bunch of friends and all watch an anime together using the chat room feature. Have a whole lot of revision on the emphasis of anime.

Most of all, I'd have a update section on the front showing the updates. I'd program events so maybe at certain times a month, an anime would be live streamed from the site so members could go and watch it all together and talk about it and keep up to date on it. I'd have users host events, participate in it, have fun. Have a global "Admin" presence. Talk with users, take their suggestions. Event suggestions, code image sharing, build an image upload system so you can upload images for backgrounds directly from the site. Share work with friends, build a "Code repository" so you can scroll through code and see how it "looks" with an example page (so you don't have to go to the forums and scroll through pages trying to find code, instead it would be on a simple scroll down infanitly page where you could see previews first, then could click on a preview to send you to the code (which I would have a button so you could easily copy it to your clipboard, or, send it directly into the "HTML/CSS" portion of your page (no copy/paste required, muhahaha). I would also have a unchangeable, "Created By" section on the "HTML/CSS" section, so when you would upload code, you would specify the code you want for your "Copyright", which would then be sent immediately when someone tries to copy your code, and your copyright would be on there, unaccessable and unchangeable).

Add tutorials on HTML/CSS as the admin, add tutorials on how to edit things. Add a "Support" section where you can file complains/bugs. Add a "Suggestions" pane and things like that.

Devise a complete subsection of the site for the visual arts. So you could see popular pictures/artists/designers/coders, previews and discussions of their works.

For the community itself I would integrate more on the connections between members, anime, and friends. Adding status updates for friends that can only be seen by friends, add anime groups, promote members works on the front page, have weekly contests, promote writing, art, coding, reviewing and have competitions for it. Have poetry competitions hell I don't know. Make a whole new subsection for that maybe.

There's so many different ways to integrate the site. And you don't have to wait to release huge changes all at once. Make gradual, small changes, with secure code that doesn't break, and bam, you will have an awesome site in no time with a flowing developer-moderator-community relationship that flows smoothly.

Also I would integrate tools for banning IP addresses, and providing better security for the site as a whole using modern web security techniques (I even have access to a team of people who could try to hack the site and find bugs when I would be done with it).

I would also build triggers to clear out data (members, users) who have either been banned for a long time, or have been inactive for a long time. (Allowing really cool usernames to be used again).
Yes thats what i thought too what a coinsidence
"There is nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so."

Dilemma
Anispace Apprentice
Anispace Apprentice

Post by Dilemma » 20 Feb 2016, 21:48

I feel like this site is going to end up lasting for a while. But then one day this site could become more quiet and no one could come on here. So I think that would be the time to close the website. But I do hope this site lasts for a long time cause all of us have met friends here that have become close friends to us.
'Peace, Love and Positivity.'

Emiya
Anispace Apprentice
Anispace Apprentice

Post by Emiya » 20 Feb 2016, 22:01

I fail to see the point of this thread. You can come up with many interesting ideas for the site but there's always a saying that "Ideas are worth nothing, Execution is everything." The only one who could execute these ideas are luffy He has the power to change the site and to make it a better place. But does he utilize his power as admin? Only to fix a few bugs and add little updates that won't really benefit the site that much, but beyond that? Nothing. Do we see him interacting with the community? No. Luffy is simply the only one who can make these changes come true but doesn't do much of anything with his admin power. Skypiea is a "Second admin" but really just a mod with extra privileges with the title "Admin." Luffy didn't give her enough power to be considered an "admin." The community can come up with as many ideas as it wants, but ultimately, none of you have the power to execute these ideas and to be honest, a large percentage of this community isn't fit to be an admin of this site. The mods are very limited so there is not much they can do aside from enforcing rules and managing the forums. There's no point in coming up with ideas if none of you including the admin himself can't execute them.

Lisica
Anispace Apprentice
Anispace Apprentice

Post by Lisica » 20 Feb 2016, 22:07

Seth wrote:Everything will be manly.

And pink.
Seth, the real OG, bringing the best ideas. I support this decision completely.
Tyrant wrote:I KNOW YOU'RE A FOX IRL

Kaiser
Anispace Beginner

Post by Kaiser » 20 Feb 2016, 23:00

Naru wrote:met friends here that have become close friends to us.

Kik, Skype, Facebook...they're there, waiting in the corner to be implemented.

AbimeDeTenebres
Anime Reviewers

Post by AbimeDeTenebres » 21 Feb 2016, 00:25

Emiya wrote:I fail to see the point of this thread. You can come up with many interesting ideas for the site but there's always a saying that "Ideas are worth nothing, Execution is everything." The only one who could execute these ideas are luffy He has the power to change the site and to make it a better place. But does he utilize his power as admin? Only to fix a few bugs and add little updates that won't really benefit the site that much, but beyond that? Nothing. Do we see him interacting with the community? No. Luffy is simply the only one who can make these changes come true but doesn't do much of anything with his admin power. Skypiea is a "Second admin" but really just a mod with extra privileges with the title "Admin." Luffy didn't give her enough power to be considered an "admin." The community can come up with as many ideas as it wants, but ultimately, none of you have the power to execute these ideas and to be honest, a large percentage of this community isn't fit to be an admin of this site. The mods are very limited so there is not much they can do aside from enforcing rules and managing the forums. There's no point in coming up with ideas if none of you including the admin himself can't execute them.

so obviously the most logical thing to do instead is to not brain storm at all and be unprepared for the hypothetical scenario that luffy did return--because he has been logging on as of late and just has been silent. So when luffy asks what the community wants, you're suggesting that we don't give him any ideas at all and end up looking like a bunch of whiners. When the inevitable destruction of this site ensues, I would be more content with the fact that I at least made an effort to fix the site instead of just letting it die. Brutal continues to be a more useful user than the majority of us without even trying.