What do you want from a mod?

Drop your suggestions, ideas, and reports in here.

Moderators: Auer, xNyctophilia

Ants
Anispace Apprentice
Anispace Apprentice

Re: What do you want from a mod?

Post by Ants » 20 Jul 2016, 13:43

Whisper wrote:
Ants wrote:whisper didn't say i was wrong.
no no it's not u if i at least considered having a reason and as an alternative (knowing u cant block mods) i would have removed u as a friend at least, which i havent!!! so it aint u.
ok den
actually, don't contact me.

Ants
Anispace Apprentice
Anispace Apprentice

Post by Ants » 03 Aug 2016, 21:59

Wouldn't it be easier if everyone could just change their usernames like the mods do on a consistent basis, or is that a privilege that is only exclusive to those in the anispace staff? Or perhaps is it that changing a username is an extremely arduous process that requires immense technical knowledge? Is it a function that luffy made exclusive to mods?

OrehCursor
Global moderators
Global moderators

Post by OrehCursor » 03 Aug 2016, 22:33

More like, we have quicker forms of communication with skypiea
The winner is the most adaptive one.

Ants
Anispace Apprentice
Anispace Apprentice

Post by Ants » 03 Aug 2016, 22:42

OrehCursor wrote:More like, we have quicker forms of communication with skypiea
gotcha

EtherealStarlight
Global moderators
Global moderators

Post by EtherealStarlight » 04 Aug 2016, 04:17

Mods aren't the only ones who've changed their usernames, you know.

SavarisTenkai
Anispace Beginner

Post by SavarisTenkai » 05 Aug 2016, 18:53

Ants wrote:Wouldn't it be easier if everyone could just change their usernames like the mods do on a consistent basis, or is that a privilege that is only exclusive to those in the anispace staff? Or perhaps is it that changing a username is an extremely arduous process that requires immense technical knowledge? Is it a function that luffy made exclusive to mods?
I've always thought everyone should be able to freely change their usernames whenever they like. Luffy's argument against it back in the day (or at least what I was told was his word through one of the mods back then) was that it would make particular users hard to keep track of, but that's a load of BS. This site (and pretty much all sites, to my knowledge) keeps track of user accounts based on the assigned number given to each one upon registry. Username has absolutely nothing to do with it. Each account, each forum post, they all have assigned numbers for reference and management. And regardless, it's not like changing the username gets anyone off the hook when they've been naughty anyway. Whatever their name, it'll still be attached to the evidence just the same. And that's to say nothing of the fact that any changes to an account show up in the mod logs.

But anyway, my point was that at least in theory allowing people to change their usernames would have greatly decreased the amount of accounts people made, since often the reason folks made so many accounts was they just got tired of a name or thought up a new one that tickled their fancy.
"Strength in numbers, a lie. The power's in one.
All together, you'll never be stronger than me."
~ Ronnie James Dio

Bastard

Post by Bastard » 05 Aug 2016, 19:41

SavarisTenkai wrote:
Ants wrote:Wouldn't it be easier if everyone could just change their usernames like the mods do on a consistent basis, or is that a privilege that is only exclusive to those in the anispace staff? Or perhaps is it that changing a username is an extremely arduous process that requires immense technical knowledge? Is it a function that luffy made exclusive to mods?
I've always thought everyone should be able to freely change their usernames whenever they like. Luffy's argument against it back in the day (or at least what I was told was his word through one of the mods back then) was that it would make particular users hard to keep track of, but that's a load of BS. This site (and pretty much all sites, to my knowledge) keeps track of user accounts based on the assigned number given to each one upon registry. Username has absolutely nothing to do with it. Each account, each forum post, they all have assigned numbers for reference and management. And regardless, it's not like changing the username gets anyone off the hook when they've been naughty anyway. Whatever their name, it'll still be attached to the evidence just the same. And that's to say nothing of the fact that any changes to an account show up in the mod logs.

But anyway, my point was that at least in theory allowing people to change their usernames would have greatly decreased the amount of accounts people made, since often the reason folks made so many accounts was they just got tired of a name or thought up a new one that tickled their fancy.
100% agree with this
It's not hard to keep track of someone, especially with the low amount of people we have here and the fact they have our IP :yes

Welcome to the citadel of all eternal wisdom. Behold, this crystal contains the sum of all human knowledge --
Except Rap, Country and weeaboos.

Ants
Anispace Apprentice
Anispace Apprentice

Post by Ants » 05 Aug 2016, 19:50

Luffy doesn't seem like the biggest advocate for practical solutions to problems. I suspect we won't be able to change our usernames whenever we want (like on tumblr)... Pretty much ever.

OrehCursor
Global moderators
Global moderators

Post by OrehCursor » 05 Aug 2016, 19:57

for the record- yes each account does have numeric IDs that don't change
The winner is the most adaptive one.