Account Limit Issue Questionnaire

This is where we'll announce anything new to the site.
OrehCursor
Global moderators
Global moderators

Account Limit Issue Questionnaire

Post by OrehCursor » 27 Apr 2015, 17:20

XeyluK wrote: An explanation as to why this is being considered.
The staff of Anispace would like to make an official clarification regarding the recent announcement that users would soon be limited to no more than three accounts per person. First and foremost, we wish to apologize for the abruptness of the announcement. It was the result of an unfortunate case of a lack of preparation, as not only was the community left out of the decision but not even all of the staff members were briefed on the matter prior to the initial posting. Understandably, this has caused a great deal of anger and confusion over the issue, much of which is completely understandable. We wish to assure everyone that we of the Anispace staff do fully respect the wishes of the community and we wish in turn to do only what is best for the site. Remember, we are users and community members just like any of you, and we wish for everyone to be able to enjoy the site to the fullest. With that in mind, we will now be taking a more professional approach to the matter and will permit an open public discussion of the account issue, accompanied by a proper vote before any action (if deemed appropriate) will be taken. So, please, take some time to read over the following and let's all work to come to a proper agreement on the best course of action, with the interests of the site and community in mind.

Over the past few weeks, the site staff has been tossing around ideas for ways to improve the site and community. Among those ideas was the proposal to curb the issue of mass account spamming and 'hoarding' (creating accounts simply to take a particular username despite having no intention to be active on the account). This topic came up in discussion because it has been noted as a running gag almost that "98% of our new users each day are just the same people on new accounts" and the vast amount of inactive profiles that take up site bandwidth and make for unsightly clutter. In addition, we are often approached by users with problems and complaints concerning ownership of accounts and all the various confusing matters that arise from account sharing and trading among these 'hoarded' username accounts. As you might imagine, this comes to eat up quite a bit of time for those in charge of account management. To remedy this, we considered the option of potentially working to instate a limit to the number of accounts which would be permitted per user or per IP address. Many sites practice such a system in order to prevent excess clutter, and so it was put on the table as a potential solution. Also, we considered putting into place a system of deleting any accounts inactive for a set amount of time. Unfortunately, as mentioned, the staff was not able to finish going over the details before a post made its way to the public. Regardless, our objective here is to eliminate inactive accounts as much as possible and to do away with the hassle of playing mediator to users who get into ownership arguments resulting from being involved in account hoarding and trading.

Again, please consider carefully the topic at hand and the information presented. Afterward, we encourage everyone to deliver their thoughts and opinions, along with their vote, in a mature, constructive, and beneficial manner here in this thread. This is a matter of community improvement, so let's be on our best behavior and avoid any unnecessary raging. Such outbursts will be quelled if needed to ensure the discussion remains civil.
1) How many accounts do you own? <5,5-15,>15?

2) Do you think users have the right to account hoard as they please?

3) What do you think the account limit should be? 3 or 5?

4) Please explain in extensive details good reasons why one would need multiple accounts. (If you believe there is no real reason a user should need multiple accounts, simply state so.)

5) Do you feel the need to spread out your edits onto several different accounts as oppose to simply cycling through themes on a smaller number of accounts?

To the roleplayers who use several accounts for separate characters:

1) Do you need multiple accounts for separate characters? Is it implausible to use one general account for all your characters?

2) Are you aware of the RPG section of Anispace? If so, have you used it? Why or why not? http://www.anispace.net/rpg.php

3) Are you aware of the character creation feature on the RPG section, which allows one to create multiple characters from one account? If so, have you used it? Why or why not? http://www.anispace.net/rpg.php?action=create_char

Bare in mind that nothing is set in stone yet, which is why we are asking you, the users, for your input.

You may only post once on this thread with your answered questions. No debating or side comments.

Polls will also be a no-go since we have reasons to believe users used multiple accounts to vote. (Feel free to show that is not the case by having as many replies on this thread as there were votes in the last thread.)

EDIT: Please choose a limit. (If you don't, we will just count "No limit" as five)
Also regarding "But Luffy said!"
Xeyluk wrote:What they fail to understand is that those who have been appointed to positions of authority carry the full might of the leader in his absence. Since Luffy gave us this power and saw fit to leave the site to us, our word is as good as his word.
Skypiea also agree to this, and her word is equally as good as luffy's.
The winner is the most adaptive one.

SaiyanLullaby
Anispace Cadet
Anispace Cadet

Re: Account Issue Questionnaire

Post by SaiyanLullaby » 27 Apr 2015, 17:39

OrehCursor wrote: 1) How many accounts do you own? <5,5-15,>15?

4) Please explain in extensive details good reasons why one would need multiple accounts. (If you believe there is no real reason a user should need multiple accounts, simply state so.)

5) Do you feel the need to spread out your edits onto several different accounts as oppose to simply cycling through themes on a smaller number of accounts?

1) Do you need multiple accounts for separate characters? Is it implausible to use one general account for all your characters?

2) Are you aware of the RPG section of Anispace? If so, have you used it? Why or why not? http://www.anispace.net/rpg.php

3) Are you aware of the character creation feature on the RPG section, which allows one to create multiple characters from one account? If so, have you used it? Why or why not? http://www.anispace.net/rpg.php?action=create_char

Bare in mind that nothing is set in stone yet, which is why we are asking you, the users, for your input.

You may only post once on this thread with your answered questions. No debating or side comments.

Polls will also be a no-go since we have reasons to believe users used multiple accounts to vote. (Feel free to show that is not the case by having as many replies on this thread as there were votes in the last thread.)
1 - I have 22 accounts. Though I chose to keep 3.

2 - No. They don't have the right to hoard accounts. I mean, I don't mind if people use my old usernames. As long as they don't pretend to be me.

3 - Neither. 4 should be a good number.

4 - Possibly for a main, back up, or roleplay. 4th MAYBE for testing or a second role-play.

5 - No. Like in my last opinion. 4 accounts will be good. You won't be using that back up at that moment, so test on there! If something happens to your main account, then yes, you will have to use your second rp account to test codes. But you could just make 2 accounts. One main. But make it a username that would fit all your characters regardless. Second for a editing/back up.

RP 1 - No. Just no. UNLESS.. someone is trying to impersonate you and a certain OC you own. Then take the username of that character's name.

RP 2 - Yes. I am. I have used it. Though before, I've tried to send starters and they were always ignored. I honestly don't find the RPG section meant for RP anymore. Certain users turn the RPG into a chatroom which is stupid.

RP 3 - Yes. But the last time I created characters, people began to steal from me without taking credit which is why I began to stray. But hopefully that now I'm slowly beginning to come back to it. I won't be stolen from.

Overall. I think each user should only have at the most, 5 accounts. Though 4 is good, many will whine about it. So I agree with 5 accounts to be kept.
"People, are my playthings."
"It's so fun, it makes me vomit."

Trust
Anispace Cadet
Anispace Cadet

Post by Trust » 27 Apr 2015, 17:41

1) I own 6 (but can deal with 3)

2)I don't believe users need to hoard accounts.

3) 3 seems reasonable in my opinion.

4) I believe theirs no need for a user to have multiple accounts honestly I might sound cold because others have memories on account's or loved ones that have passed away or was cherished memories but you can always keep them as a memory in your heart(cheesy) then having an inactive account as a memorial to them.

5) I can do just fine editing on one page it's easier to keep up with an maintain since I'm busy working.

I have no need to answer the rest since I don't really roleplay

Memories
Anispace Cadet
Anispace Cadet

Re: Account Limit Issue Questionnaire

Post by Memories » 27 Apr 2015, 17:48

OrehCursor wrote: 1) How many accounts do you own? <5,5-15,>15? Five. However, I only use two: My back-up and this one--my main account. I could care less for the other accounts I own. I'd be perfectly okay with someone else getting the usernames.

2) Do you think users have the right to account hoard as they please? If they're going to make the account with no intention of actually using it for more than a week, then no.

3) What do you think the account limit should be? 3 or 5? Neither. I think four would be a good number.

4) Please explain in extensive details good reasons why one would need multiple accounts. (If you believe there is no real reason a user should need multiple accounts, simply state so.) I guess they would "need" multiple accounts for roleplaying as multiple people, also for testing layouts--or a backup account. However, I don't see why they'd need so accounts when you could just use one for testing, one for your main, and one backup.

5) Do you feel the need to spread out your edits onto several different accounts as oppose to simply cycling through themes on a smaller number of accounts? I prefer to simply cycle through themes on a smaller number.

GabrielleRunaways
Anispace Cadet
Anispace Cadet

Post by GabrielleRunaways » 27 Apr 2015, 17:55

These are my most honest responses to the following questions.Bear in mind that I will also speak out in favor of my fellow roleplaying friends.But they will also give their input on the matter,I assure you.That is when they'll be online of course.

I've had my share of multiple accounts in the past,but now the only ones the most often i've used are about maybe 4,5 maybe and they are GabrielleRunaways,FrozenNobody,BarBuster and TheRunaways.Three accounts of mine have been given to two of my friends (BadReputation,Ford and CherieCurrie),but I can still login from time to time to check if everything's in order,just in case.So to make sure my answer is understood,I own about 4 or 5 accounts max.

I'm not so sure about that.Unless the original owner of an account gives permission to someone else to own it then I guess it is no big deal.

5 accounts maximum sounds more reasonable to me since many users like roleplayers and profile designers might need a few more accounts to test out something.3 should be the minimum and 5 the maximum.

In the case of certain roleplayers,multiple accounts are needed because they either joined a roleplaying group and need to create an account for the specific character they chose to roleplay as or it could be because they want to insert all of their characters into two accounts or more simply because they have too many and can't stick to one character for more than two weeks.So they decide to create multiple accounts for those reasons which seems completely fair to me unless they really go overboard,like about ten accounts or more is too much.As for profile designers,well I guess the main reason to have multiple accounts is that so they can test out the designs they've been working on and check if everything's alright.

In my case,no.One account is enough for me since I rarely modify my profile design.

In my case,no.Unless i'd like to try to roleplay as an original character instead of an OC then perhaps i'd create one new account for the specific character.But I generally need multiple accounts so then if something bad happens to my main account then I could move to another one and stay there for as long as possible.

In my friend's case,as I stated above in the fourth question as to why one user would need multiple accounts,they needed multiple accounts so they could join my roleplaying group simply because they often tend to switch characters on their main accounts on a frequent basis.

I've known about the RPG section ever since its creation,but i've used it only to open a private RPG where every members of my roleplaying group could have a fun,general group roleplay together.For now,we are sticking to individual roleplays on each other's profiles since we need more members in the group.

Of course!Altough,i've only used it to recreate my OC character's sheet as the RPG's group leader.
Last edited by GabrielleRunaways on 27 Apr 2015, 18:07, edited 2 times in total.

Sam
Anispace Cadet
Anispace Cadet

Post by Sam » 27 Apr 2015, 18:00

1) How many accounts do you own? <5,5-15,>15? Lots. I only use four now. Main (Sam), editing (xKuroTenshi), and one for my favorite messages (xCastiel). The fourth account is used for roleplaying (BadReputation).

2) Do you think users have the right to account hoard as they please? Nahhh. They're just wasting accounts.

3) What do you think the account limit should be? 3 or 5? Since people will probably whine about it, I think five. Though, three's better, people'll whine since they want more accounts.

4) Please explain in extensive details good reasons why one would need multiple accounts. (If you believe there is no real reason a user should need multiple accounts, simply state so.) Hm, probably for editing, roleplaying different characters, and for a backup. Having over five is just crazy but, I can see why people want to have more. Some people want to remake themselves on different accounts and start new.

5) Do you feel the need to spread out your edits onto several different accounts as oppose to simply cycling through themes on a smaller number of accounts? I'd rather cycle through themes on a smaller number of accounts. It'd be easier to manage.

EmiyaShirou
Anispace Apprentice
Anispace Apprentice

Post by EmiyaShirou » 27 Apr 2015, 18:12

1 - I have 5 of them

2 - I think people should have the right to make as many accounts as they want as long as they are actually being used. It's a free site so people should be free to do as they please as long as it doesn't ruin other's experience.

3 - No limits.

4 - Someone wants to make an account for someone but can't because of this rule. Then there are roleplayers who use multiple accounts for Roleplay. What if they want to RP a different character but can't? Plus, no one wants to change their profile every week just to change character, It's too tiring and takes too much time.

5 - Yes, because in doing so, takes little effort and time. It's much simpler to have a various ones rather than just a single one.

RP 1 - As I mentioned in number 5, having seprate accounts for each character is much more simpler than just using the same old account over and over again.

RP 2 - Yes. I am. To be frank, the RP secion isn't all that good. Whenever I tried to Send a starter there, I would just be ignored. Besides that place doesn't even seem like it's used for RP anymore.

RP 3 -The Layouts are just dull and can't do much with them, so I don't even bother.

I believe people should feel free to do as they want as long as it doesn't break the general rules of the site. People having many accounts didn't bother people to the point of mass panic and having even more restrictions be restricting the people's freedom on the site.

InuYasha
Anispace Pro
Anispace Pro

Post by InuYasha » 27 Apr 2015, 18:13

OrehCursor wrote:
XeyluK wrote: An explanation as to why this is being considered.
The staff of Anispace would like to make an official clarification regarding the recent announcement that users would soon be limited to no more than three accounts per person. First and foremost, we wish to apologize for the abruptness of the announcement. It was the result of an unfortunate case of a lack of preparation, as not only was the community left out of the decision but not even all of the staff members were briefed on the matter prior to the initial posting. Understandably, this has caused a great deal of anger and confusion over the issue, much of which is completely understandable. We wish to assure everyone that we of the Anispace staff do fully respect the wishes of the community and we wish in turn to do only what is best for the site. Remember, we are users and community members just like any of you, and we wish for everyone to be able to enjoy the site to the fullest. With that in mind, we will now be taking a more professional approach to the matter and will permit an open public discussion of the account issue, accompanied by a proper vote before any action (if deemed appropriate) will be taken. So, please, take some time to read over the following and let's all work to come to a proper agreement on the best course of action, with the interests of the site and community in mind.

Over the past few weeks, the site staff has been tossing around ideas for ways to improve the site and community. Among those ideas was the proposal to curb the issue of mass account spamming and 'hoarding' (creating accounts simply to take a particular username despite having no intention to be active on the account). This topic came up in discussion because it has been noted as a running gag almost that "98% of our new users each day are just the same people on new accounts" and the vast amount of inactive profiles that take up site bandwidth and make for unsightly clutter. In addition, we are often approached by users with problems and complaints concerning ownership of accounts and all the various confusing matters that arise from account sharing and trading among these 'hoarded' username accounts. As you might imagine, this comes to eat up quite a bit of time for those in charge of account management. To remedy this, we considered the option of potentially working to instate a limit to the number of accounts which would be permitted per user or per IP address. Many sites practice such a system in order to prevent excess clutter, and so it was put on the table as a potential solution. Also, we considered putting into place a system of deleting any accounts inactive for a set amount of time. Unfortunately, as mentioned, the staff was not able to finish going over the details before a post made its way to the public. Regardless, our objective here is to eliminate inactive accounts as much as possible and to do away with the hassle of playing mediator to users who get into ownership arguments resulting from being involved in account hoarding and trading.

Again, please consider carefully the topic at hand and the information presented. Afterward, we encourage everyone to deliver their thoughts and opinions, along with their vote, in a mature, constructive, and beneficial manner here in this thread. This is a matter of community improvement, so let's be on our best behavior and avoid any unnecessary raging. Such outbursts will be quelled if needed to ensure the discussion remains civil.
The amount that I own now is going lesser and lesser by the day because I am giving accounts away and soon will request some to become deleted that are inactive. I would say I main 20 accounts roughly. The reason being this is because in the past I had helped out friends with money and they had given me some in return in which I do "treasure" some of them personally. Also, Luffy has gaven me a few as well as other users. So he took his time out from his busy daily life to reset inactive accounts for us. That is something to be appreciative of. Honestly.

Yes and no. Hoarding on purpose to tick someone off is rude and to not even use them. HOWEVER; People should be allowed to have the right to do as they please with registration. No one can keep up forever with all their accounts so it is a given that some of their inactive accounts will be deleted prior. This is why deleting INACTIVE accounts is a thumbs up. Here's an idea bump up the account creation to once per month, AND set it up to where if you do not activate your account via the email that is sent during registration after 1 week the account is deleted, since it is considered un-activated. Some people believe I personally appear as an account hoarder. I can agree with them none the less by a first glance. However I can honestly assure you that's not the case. Many users have came to me in trust with their accounts that they no longer need and to pursue search for other users whom in which "deserve" or "would like" the account that the previous owners have gave me. I'm actually making even more progress than I have before about giving away accounts just by today. Consider it my lucky day off. I'm actually ecstatic that these accounts are going to be used.

I feel that there shouldn't be an account limit honestly. Because Luffy stated himself that he wanted to allow us to make as many as we want and that's what makes it so nice being here more open to freedom. Some new users may not even be aware of an account limit rule and thus becoming punished without knowledge of it. Besides as long as the inactive accounts are being deleted there will be no problem.

Some of our accounts we kept because there is memories and messages from years ago. It is all sentimental. Sometimes we might like to look back at them and relive some moments from the past that could have been our happiest hour.

Some people love editing, as their hobby. They like to edit actively on each account, like myself rather than having to switch over and over at a time. It can be a hassle to re-do everything on just a few accounts when we all have strived for hours on end to themes specifically designed for seperate accounts. A good example is user/Angel

Being here on this site legitimately feels like its our property and apart of our personal life. I don't think Luffy agrees with this since he went out of his way to give us inactive accounts. Some of us in which have personal ties to.

Yes, I do feel the need to. I feel as if all my edits would nicely be viewed with equal amount of screen time. That's how much I love them.

I have done one account for multiple characters based around "Kitsune" species actually. But I actually prefer separate accounts because it is much less of a hassle to re-do everything whenever I feel the need to want to do different themes.

Yes, I have used it before. I dislike it heavily. I prefer doing it in comments. The RPG section is rather too bland for my tastes. Editing is part of the reason which makes our profiles for our characters unique and fun. This helps us differentiate from other users whom in which portray yet the same character.

Yes. I have used it. All it is, is a name change. Nothing too special here in my opinion. Again I think it lacks luster.

In Addition here I am re-quoting myself from the previous thread as follows:

You see in the past, I helped a guy out named Ray who needed money to buy plane tickets to see his girlfriend in real life. I offered him money and in exchange he gave accounts that he would soon leave the site permanently. Some Luffy has gaven to me because he went out of his way and time to go and reset accounts for individual users whom in which had asked nicely. Because we had waited so long for them. I gave Ray money for a select few individually for my girlfriend as well, like for her birthday. I even helped out my pal Yuna with her medical expenses because she has health problems so she gave me an account that her husband didn't mind giving to me since they rarely used it. So it does have sentimental meaning to me rather that may sound "odd".

Seth also sold me Judar and Izaya a long time ago. Because he wanted something online for a video game. He wanted someone to use them so I gave in and I hoped to make him happy with that.

Sadie also purchased an account from Ray and it somehow managed to get to me. She gave it to me and promised to never give it away because she knew I would use it. Not only did Sadie/Usagi gave me that but her and RukiaKuchiki also went out of their ways to reset accounts to hand over to me to search for suitable owners for few of them. So if anyone wants accounts that I did not pay for, or ask Luffy for -in the past- I may be willing to give them away since I promised to do that for them as a favor to Usagi and RukiaKuchiki.

I have already given my reasoning personally about me above.

Luffy wanted to make this site very open and free, not restricted. Which he said "Screw it! Let em do it! Do whatever they want with their accounts! It's theirs!" Luffy has only been deleting inactive accounts. So I would say in my opinion to stick with that.

Fate - Not to be tamed.

Bunny
Anispace Beginner

Post by Bunny » 27 Apr 2015, 18:26

I honestly have too many to count.

I do believe users have the right to own whatever account they want. If they are not using it, however, they shouldn't own it. Why have an account just for the fun of it?

Edit for this question: Neither; I believe what would be a fair number of accounts would be at least 10-20. The number 10 could be the minimum, and the 20 could be the maximum. To users who complain about accounts, oh well. First come, first serve.

There's a reason for everything. One account to make edits on so they can correct them. Or match with someone, like their boyfriend/girlfriend, maybe even their best friend. Perhaps a user shares an account with someone. Any reason it is for that person, is good enough for them. My reasoning would be: I am matching with one of my close friends. Matching with my friends means a lot to me. Someone would say, "Why can't you do it on one account?" In my opinion, it doesn't feel the same as matching on one account, like Belladonna and Bethel. These two accounts could be edited to Alice and Alyss from Pandora Hearts. It wouldn't feel the same. Now, it feels better because they both own Alice and Alyss. It's better for both of them as well.

In fact, I do. It doesn't feel the same if I edit to Alice Baskerville on my Belladonna account verses on my Alice account. Do not ask me why, it just feels better when I edit to Alice on her name account.
Last edited by Bunny on 04 May 2015, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.

Hime
Anispace Beginner

Post by Hime » 27 Apr 2015, 18:32

I honestly don't know how many I have. But I do have more than enough and i've been giving away most of my accounts.

Depends, if the accounts are actually used then I see no issue with it. If they have the account just so someone else can't then no.

I honestly don't think there should be a limit. Luffy himself once said there was no limit and we could have as many as we wanted. But if I had to choose then I would say 5.

1. Your main. 2. A backup account. 3 & 4 for roleplay accounts and 5 as an editing account.

I do if and only if I really want to edit but I don't want to edit my main if I actually like said edit. It's nice having other accounts to edit.