The Anivider's Guide to Good Forum Etiquette!

This is where we'll announce anything new to the site.
Windlovesky
Anispace Pro
Anispace Pro

The Anivider's Guide to Good Forum Etiquette!

Post by Windlovesky » 18 Feb 2013, 11:46

The Anivider’s Guide to Good Forum Etiquette

Hey guys!
The moderators of Anivide have noticed some shifty acts of bad etiquette popping up around the lovely forums we patrol on a daily basis. Because of this, here is the new and improved guide to Anivide’s forums. How to stay out of trouble and have fun – at the very same time!

We’ll start off with some basics!

#1 – Spamming, flooding and general pointlessness in posts are big no-no’s!

So, the more you post and comment, the higher up on the "Top Member" list you get, right? That's cool and all. However, you shouldn’t be posting for the sole purpose of getting on that list for a day. Why? It’s just annoying; plain and simple. Also, explain your opinions. When you post little, irrelevant responses (i.e. "Agreed." "[insert random emoticon here]" "Hahaha!"), it leaves mods with a big ol’ mess to clean up and forum browsers with no posts of substance to browse. People read the posts around here and people want to see opinions. A lot of people want discussion and are willing to have discussions in these forums. Be nice to them, they may not give you cookies, but they just might give you some food for thought. Discussion can be fun. So, don't disregard it. Embrace it and have fun with it. Don't be pointless. If you don't have anything to say, don't say it. If you do, state your opinion and why you have it. Someone might want to know!

#2 – Avoid posting multiple times in a row to reply to messages.

Let me lay out a scenario for you (you’ve probably experienced this at least once before if you use the forums regularly).
You’re in a discussion in a thread when you decide to post a reply to someone. You go about your business typing up one of your typical amazingly intelligent responses when… SHOCK AND HORROR! Someone else has also replied to your previous post but you’ve already posted your new response! Well crap… what do you even DO now? You’ve already replied to Suzy, but what about Bill?! Poor Bill… Oh! You’ll just type out a second post to Bill. Yeah, that’ll work!
FREEZE!
Don’t do it, good Anivider. For it is seriously frowned upon. What?! You ask. But you HAVE to double post! Now you can’t separate your responses to people and jeez, all hell may as well break loose!
Now, now, calm yourself. Believe it or not, there is a simple fix to your predicament! The all glorious EDIT button!
And you can use this button to your very own advantage whenever you feel like it!

#3 – The SEARCH FUNCTION is your friend!

If you’re fixed to create a new topic that you think will bring about fresh ideas and discussion, make sure such a topic does not already exist. How does one go about doing such a thing? By using the search function! There is one handy-dandy search bar right above the threads of every single forum here!
Simply type in the key words of the type of topic you’re planning to create and browse the forums with titles related to said key words. If you don’t find anything similar to your thread, post it! If you do, don’t create a new topic, simply post your opinion in the old one. But…

#4 – Try not to bring up old threads tediously!

If you stumble across an old thread you think is interesting and you have something thoughtful and insightful to add to it, by all means, go ahead (though, consult the actual rules thread about this because there is a limit to the amount of old threads one can bring up)! However, if you see an old thread and think, “Hey! Something I don’t care about to needless add to!” or “Hey! Something to help raise my post count!” DO NOT POST!

Now for some less widely known things about Anivide and forum use!

#5 – Starting arguments is uncool!

Avoid starting big, dramatic arguments. It’s a huge bummer when it happens. I know; I’ve done it. Doing so is a great way to get otherwise fun threads locked and fast! It’s also a good way to get you on the mods’ collective bad sides.

#6 – Speaking of the mods…

Hey, guess what!
The mods (and admin) are people, too! (Big shock, I know.) We do have outside world-y things to do and despite how it may seem, some pretty big limitations on what we can do with our “powers.” So, we can’t constantly meet everyone’s wants and needs in a split second. The way moderation works around here is that it’s a big… attempt at a team effort. We’re all very different people with very different opinions and when an issue is brought to our attention, we have to discuss how to properly handle it and attempt to reach an agreement that we can all be okay with. Sometimes that takes a bit of time. Nevertheless, we do want you to understand that, for real, we’re constantly discussing site improvement and how to keep all the users from having to deal with crazy people going around and scaring everyone and jerks in general. We’re very interested in making your time on this website a good one. As unpleasant and disagreeable as we may seem from time to time, we’re always looking out for you guys. [Insert collective audience, “Awww.”] Which brings me to…

#7 – Do you want to do my job?
Please try to trust our judgment as moderators. Don’t fight with us on everything that we do and don’t tell us what to do (i.e. “Mods! Why haven’t you locked this thread?! I think it should be locked!” “Stupid mod, my RPG is totally not inappropriate!”). If you think we’re being absolutely terrible, you can feel free to bring it up with us. However, if you’re just annoyed that we locked a thread because it was drama that you wanted to get in on, get over it. And if we banned you for a short or long period of time, chances are, you were warned and with good reason. Seriously, you guys. We’re not conspiring against you all; we just have jobs to do.

#8 – There’s no need to prolong forum drama (or drama in general, but whatever).

If someone’s started an altercation, remember that it isn’t your job to correct it. If you wish to make a point to the disgruntled altercation starter you can do so calmly without adding fuel to the fire. Think out what you want to say so there’s no confusion or misunderstandings (again, I’ve made my share of forum blunders by simply not realizing that other people might not get the tone I’m attempting to type with because… well, we ARE typing). Keep disagreements civil.

#9 – Avoid scapegoating users and creating hate threads.
It doesn’t happen so much these days (thank you all, very much for understanding us and avoiding such things) but a while ago it was like there was a new Acceptable Target user every day. If you have a problem with another user, like the other user is doing things that are legitimately against the rules and is scaring fellow Anividers or they’re causing a bunch of drama (inside or outside the forums), please take it up with a moderator FIRST THING. Let us figure out how to handle the problem before you feel the need to rally up a mob of Anividers with brooms and pitchforks.

#10 – What we do, we do for you.
Mods are here to assist you when you need it. With this in mind, when you’re reporting something or someone to the mods, please keep calm and don’t panic. We want to help you and figure out your problem. The more calmly you explain your situation, the easier it is for us to fix it in a timely manner if possible.
To add to this, if a mod tells you that you’re doing something out of line, don’t get angry at them. If you didn’t realize there was a rule about something you were doing, let them know but there’s no need to become fussy or defensive about it so please don’t. Again, we’re not conspiring against you. We just know that if you keep up spamming, necro-ing (bringing up old threads) and whatever else you’re doing, you’re bound to get in trouble in the future and we don’t want you to have to deal with that. Especially if you didn’t know what you were doing was against the rules in the first place. And if you did know that what you were doing was out of line, cut it out when we ask you to.

TL;DR:

#1 - Post things that are relevant and avoid posting without reason. Don't spam or flood because it annoys people.

#2 - Don't double (or triple, or quadruple or anymore than that) post, please! There's an edit button for a reason. If you missed a reply to one of your messages or just want to reply to someone else real quick, just edit it into your original message!

#3 - When creating a new thread, please make sure that there is not already an existing thread for the topic you wish to create. To check on this, you can use the SEARCH function!

#4 - Try not to bring up threads that no one has posted in (for a few months to a few years) without a good reason. Only do so if you have something relevant to add to it.

#5 - Please don't purposefully start arguments. Don't go out looking for trouble. Keep the forums as civil as possible.

#6 - The mods are people, too! We have the ability to screw up, yes. But we are genuinely interested in what's best for the site and want to help out as much as we can around here (though, mind you, we have limitations on what we can do with our "powers" as mods).

#7 - Also try to trust (or at the very least, understand) the mods judgements. Please don't argue with us on every little thing that we do. We're not working against you guys.

#8 - Don't prolong already started arguments in the forums by adding fuel to the fire. If you wish to contradict what someone is saying, attempt to do so calmly.

#9 - Do not create hate threads. Unless the person the thread is about condones it, it will be locked upon sight! Hate threads are unnecessary and only serve to cause problems.

#10 - The mods are here to help and we want to help. So, when you're reporting something or someone, please be calm. If you have a complaint, please be civil. Freaking out or getting super angry with us for simply trying to clarify situations will not help you.

I hope you guys are catching my drift with all of this. The forums can be really fun, but it’s up to all of us to make smart choices with our posts in order to keep everything organized… or at least, in organized chaos. Thanks for reading the Anivider’s Guide to Good Forum Etiquette! Hope to see you around the forums. Pinkies up! Teehee.

For more information about Anivide's rules and guidelines, please visit the Rules and Guidelines thread.
"There's a house across the river but alas, I cannot swim. I'll live my life regretting that I never jumped in."

Would you like a spot of tea?

Goku
Anispace Cadet
Anispace Cadet

Re: The Anivider's Guide to Good Forum Etiquette!

Post by Goku » 18 Feb 2013, 12:37

Understood Windy :D

So, the more you post and comment, the higher up on the "Top Member" list you get, right? That's cool and all. However, you shouldn’t be posting for the sole purpose of getting on that list for a day. Why? It’s just annoying; plain and simple.

:yes I definitely agree on this :lol:

LarsAlexandersson
Anispace Cadet
Anispace Cadet

Post by LarsAlexandersson » 16 Mar 2013, 06:05

Windlovesky
Anispace Pro
Anispace Pro

Post by Windlovesky » 16 Mar 2013, 15:17

LarsAlexandersson wrote:

TL;DR has been added.
"There's a house across the river but alas, I cannot swim. I'll live my life regretting that I never jumped in."

LarsAlexandersson
Anispace Cadet
Anispace Cadet

Post by LarsAlexandersson » 16 Mar 2013, 20:22

Windlovesky wrote:
LarsAlexandersson wrote:

TL;DR has been added.

Windlovesky
Anispace Pro
Anispace Pro

Post by Windlovesky » 16 Mar 2013, 21:00

LarsAlexandersson wrote:
Windlovesky wrote:
LarsAlexandersson wrote:

TL;DR has been added.

I was just doing as you implied (if not flat out said via image macro) that you wanted. =w=

Zab
Anispace Cadet
Anispace Cadet

Post by Zab » 17 Mar 2013, 09:39

Windlovesky wrote:
LarsAlexandersson wrote:

I was just doing as you implied (if not flat out said via image macro) that you wanted. =w=

[align=center]"Consume and Adapt."
"Isolate and Devour."[/align]